Thursday, November 17, 2011

My first brand experience in a Kiehl’s corner shop - By Perrine



I went on the Kiehl’s corner shop located at “Printemps” in Paris on the Saturday 5th November.
It was the first time I entered in a store of this brand and I was really surprised by the differences between a brand such as Sephora or L’oreal and Kiehl’s.

The store:
First of all, I did not think I was in a cosmetic shop but more in an old pharmacy. Indeed, the seller wore a white overall and behind the cash desk there were wooden drawer from which the seller took samples.

 

The merchandising:
Moreover, the products were clearly referenced between categories. There were the men part, the hair care, the body and the face part.
The face part was the major one with subcategories such as anti-wrinkle products, moisturizing product, and cleaner product.
Clients are really helped when making their purchase decision, indeed, you have first the top ten products on a wall with an explanation of each products and theirs benefits.

The packaging:
Secondly, on each packaging there are details such as for whom the product is made, for what kind of skin/hair and the frequency to use the product. There is also the list of the ingredients used to make the recipes. Thus, the packaging looks more like a drug product than a cosmetic one.
Furthermore, products’ packaging are most of the time white, with the text writen in black.
So, there are not attractive colors or a well round commercial speech on the packaging as you can find on other brands.

 

Selling process:
The seller had great knowledge on each product and he/she is here to listen to the consumer needs, and respond to them.
In fact, when I ask the seller what kind of products she sells and which ones are adapted to me, she first asked me what I wanted. Then, she proposed me to make a skindiagnostic and oriented metoproducts that suit my needs. Furthermore, she did not push me to buy these products but gave me samples to try and come back if I were satisfied.
Thus, this brand is really oriented to the clients’ satisfaction through listening, advice and high quality products. Moreover, Kiehl’s surfs on its pharmaceutical roots and proposes products adapted to each kind of skin and hair.

No comments: